The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint James the Apostle.
The church was built in 1882 on the site of an older chapel.
There had been a chapel here since the days of the Knights Templer in the 12th century. Their chapel was rebuilt, retaining a portion of the original builing, in 1623. That chapel stood until it was pulled down to build St. James' Church.
The church suffered from subsidence due to coal mining and was replaced by a wooden church in 1922.
Alas, Temple Normanton is a windy area, and wooden buildings are oft damaged by high winds. A new fibreglass replacement was erected in 1986, designed to hold up to the forces of nature.
Nikki MAHADEVAN has a photograph of the new St. James Church at Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
David BEVIS has a photograph of the Mortuary chapel at Geo-graph, taken in 2011.
"TEMPLE NORMANTON, a township in the parish of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 2½ miles S.E. of Chesterfield, its post town, and 3 N.E. of the Clay Cross railway station. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the road from Chesterfield to Mansfield, and is wholly agricultural.