TISSINGTON, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2522
1891 R.G. 12 / 2754
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"TISSINGTON is a small parish, in the hundred of Wirksworth. In the village, which is situate about 4 miles N. from Ashbourn, are five springs of the purest water, in connexion with which, a curious ancient custom, termed the 'Floralia', or 'well-dressing', prevails among the villagers, annually upon Ascension day, when these fountains are decorated with the choicest flowers, as offerings to the Naiads, which is thus executed - Blocks of wood are obtained (in) the required form, which are coated over with wet clay, into which the flowers are stuck, in various devices and inscriptions, so as completely to cover the bed and present a beautiful mass of flowers."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish covers 2,307 acres.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Tissington/index.html