- The parish was in the Dore sub-district of the Ecclesal Berlow Registration District.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The church was built in 1924 on Totley Hill Lane to honour the son of William A. MILNER. Milner's son died in World War I.
- The church has its own website maintained by Chris Booth. Alas, the website contains very little historical information.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1924 and is still at the church (and not archived).
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Dore sub-district of the Ecclesall Berlow Registration District.
"TOTLEY is another hamlet, in the parish of Dronfield, about three miles north-west from that town, containing 351 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
This township and parish is 6 miles south-west of Sheffield and covers 1,811 acres, including the hamlet of The Bents just northwest of the village. The landscape in the old directories is described as "moory".
- Ann Andrews provides a transcription of the Totley entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Totley from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- In the 1800s, Totley was primarily an agricultural parish, but bricks, scythes and saw handles were also made here.
- In the 1086 Domesday Book, this place is listed as Totinglei.
- The spelling of the name has changed over time. In 1629 it was "Totles".
- This place was an ancient township in Dronfield parish in Derbyshire and became a modern Civil Parish in Decmber, 1866.
- This place was a part of the Hundred of Scarsdale.
- In 1934, this parish was abolished and 751 acres were amalgamated into the Holmsfield Civil Parish, The remaining 1,100 acres became part of the Hallam Ward of the city of Sheffield and became part of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Derbyshire misses all of you!
- Wills of Dore and Totley 1539 - 1747 is a book of 58 pages edited by David Hey, and published by the Dore Village Society in 1990. The Wills (including inventories) were transcribed by the Local History class, and the book contains 10 full transcriptions plus a list of all the other wills and inventories which were transcribed.