"TWYFORD is a village, and with STENSON, form a chapelry, in that part of the parish of Barrow which is in the hundred of Appletree, pleasantly situate on the banks of the Trent, five and a half miles S.S.W. from Derby. The chapel is dedicated to St. Andrew, and the living is connected with the vicarage of Barrow. The chapelry contained, In 1821, 235, and in 1831, 219 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The village of Twyford sits along the north bank of River Trent about 131 miles north of London and 5.5 miles SSW of Derby city. The parish covers 1,800 acres. Photographs of the village can be found at Derbyshire Photos. The name means "double ford".
You can see pictures of Twyford and Stenson which are provided by:
This place was a Chapelry in Barrow-upon-Trent parish in ancient Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
This parish was in the ancient High Peak Hundred (or Wapentake).
In 1983 a Civil Parish was created for Stenson Fields, which included parts of Twyford and Barrow-on-Trent parishes. It was originally called Sinfin Moor, but the name was changed to reflect historic place names.