TWYFORD & STENSON, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2290
1871 R.G. 10 / 3292
1891 R.G. 12 / 2197 & 2543
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"TWYFORD is a village, and with STENSON, form a chapelry, in that part of the parish of Barrow which is in the hundred of Appletree, pleasantly situate on the banks of the Trent, five and a half miles S.S.W. from Derby. The chapel is dedicated to St. Andrew, and the living is connected with the vicarage of Barrow. The chapelry contained, In 1821, 235, and in 1831, 219 inhabitants."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The village of Twyford sits along the north bank of River Trent about 131 miles north of London and 5.5 miles SSW of Derby city. The parish covers 1,800 acres. Photographs of the village can be found at Derbyshire Photos. The name means "double ford".

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Twyford/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.