WALTON ON TRENT, Derbyshire
- The parish was in the Gesley sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
- The 1841 census returns appear to be missing.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 1963|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2199|
- The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
- The church was built in the early Norman period and was rebuilt in the 13th century.
- In the reign of Edward III, the church dedication was changed to St. Laurence.
- The church was restored in 1862.
- The church seats 300.
- Geoff PICK has a photograph of St. Laurence Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2004.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1587, but is not legible before 1592.
- We have a pop-up window of a partial extract of
Walton on Trent burials in a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- The church is in the rural deanery of Repton.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Gresley sub-district of the Burton upon Trent Registration District.
"WALTON-UPON-TRENT is a parish (having no dependent township), in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, about 4 miles S.W. from Burton. It was here that Edward II. forded the Trent in pursuit of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, and the disaffected barons. A new bridge is in progress of erection here, which, in connexion with the new road before-mentioned in the account of Swadlincote, will reciprocally benefit the parts adjacent to it."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Walton upon Trent entry under Church Gresley from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Walton upon Trent entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Walton upon Trent from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Mark WALTON has a photograph of The Old Hall on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
- In 1912, the Hall in this parish was the residence of Major Henry Edward Disbrowe WISE, 3rd Sherwood Foresters.
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and it became a modern Civil parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Repton and Greasley Hundred (or Wapentake).
- District governance is provided by the South Derbyshire District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Swadlincote petty session hearings.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act, this parish became a member of the Burton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.