WESSINGTON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"WESSINGTON, a township in the parish of Crich, county Derby, 3 miles N.W. of Alfreton, and 1½ miles from the Wingfield railway station. The inhabitants are principally employed in the stocking manufacture. There is a Sunday-school licensed for divine worship. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have chapels." "WASHINGTON, (or Wessington) a township in the parish of Crich, hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 3½ miles N.W. of Alfreton, its post town, and 1½ mile N.W. of Wingfield railway station. A Sunday-school was built in 1841, since licensed for divine worship. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. G. Wragg, Esq., of Road Nook Hall, is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]