WHITTINGTON, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 976
1861 R.G. 9 / 2532
1891 R.G. 12 / 2765 & 2766
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"WHITTINGTON is a small parish, in the same hundred as Staveley, about three miles and a half west from that village, and about two and a half north from Chesterfield. The village is one to which some note is attached, as having been the place where the Earl (afterwards Duke) of Devonshire, the Earl of Derby (afterwards Duke of Leeds), Lord Delamere, and Mr. John Darcy, eldest son of the Earl of Holderness, assembled to concert measures for effecting the revolution of 1688."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish covers almost 1,600 acres and includes the hamlets of New Whittington, Whittington Moor and Sheepbridge.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Encyclopedias & Dictionaries

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Year  Inn or Hotel Proprietor or Victualler
1857 Bulls Head Hannah COOK
1857 Cock and Magpie John MOTTAM
1857 Miners Arms Sidney ORWIN
1857 Sheep Bridge Inn Henry THORNTON
1857 White Horse Joseph HARTLEY

In 1895 we have:

Year  Inn or Hotel Proprietor or Victualler
1895 Bulls Head Joseph THORPE
1895 The Crown P. H. Joseph THORPE
1895 Old Revolution House Mrs. Elizh. HAWKINS
1895 Royal Hotel P.H. Henry PARKER
1895 Sir Colin Campbell P.H. George DODD
1895 White Horse Miss Matilda LONGDEN

Neil THEASBY provides a photo of the Cock and Magpie at Geo-graph, taken in April, 2012.

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Whittington/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.