WILNE, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"WILNE, a parish in the county of Derby, 7 miles S.E. of Derby, and 4 S.W. of the Sawley railway station. The parish is situated on the Trent and Mersey canal, near the confluence of the rivers Derwent and Trent. It contains the liberties of Wilne Church, and Draycott, and the chapelries of Breaston and Risley, and the hamlet of Hopwell. There are cotton mills and salt works, also the workhouse for the Shardlow Union. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vic, of Sawley. The church is dedicated to St. Chad." "CHURCH WILNE, a liberty in the parish of Wilne, in the hundred of Morleston, in the county of Derby, 7½ miles S.E. of Derby. It is situated on the river Derwent." "HOPWELL, a hamlet in the parish of Wilne, hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 7 miles E. of Derby, and a short distance from the Sawley railway station. The principal residence is Hopwell Hall, the seat of Thomas Pares, Esq., who is sole landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]