"WINGERWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 2½ miles S.W. of Chesterfield. It is situated on the line of the Midland railway, the ancient Icknield Street and river Rother, and has some "rock-basins" at Stainedge Cliff. The surface is hilly, and the substratum abounds in coal, iron-stone, and freestone. It is chiefly the property of Sir H. J. J. Hunloke, Bart., who is lord of the manor, and resides at the Hall, rebuilt in 1724 on the site of the former hall, which was taken possession of and garrisoned for the parliament in 1643."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
The parish covers 2,931 acres and included the hamlets of Hockley, Nethermoor, Stubbing and Swathwick. The River Rother forms the eastern boundary.