WIRKSWORTH, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2517 thru 2519 & 2524 & 2542
1891 R.G. 12 / 2750 & 2776
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"WIRKSWORTH is a market-town, in the parish of its name, which is partly in the hundred of Wirksworth, and extending into those of Appletree and High Peak; 139 miles from London, 48 S.S.E. from Manchester, 20 S.E. from Buxton, 14 S. by W. from Chesterfield, the like distance N.N.W. from Derby, 6 N.W. from Belper, and 3 S. from Matlock Bath; situate near to the direct road from the metropolis to Manchester. In Domesday survey it is called Werchesvorde, but, according to vulgar tradition, it took its derivation from the circumstance of malefactors being condemned to work in the lead-mines here, and their labours proving valuable, it was said their work is worth, hence the easy transition to its present mode of spelling."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Ashleyhay is a hamlet and former township just south of Wirksworth. Passenger rail service ended in 1947 but has recently started up again.

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Medical Records

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Wirksworth/index.html