"ASHBURTON is an ancient parliamentary borough and neat market town, principally in three good streets, with many neat houses and well-stocked shops, and two good inns and posting houses. Before the opening of the railways, it was a great thoroughfare for coaches, vans, &c., between Plymouth and London. It is distant 19 miles S.S.W. of Exeter, 24 miles N.E.. by E. of Plymouth, . . . The parish of Ashburton is co-extensive with the borough, and comprises 6936A. 3A. 9P. of land, beautifully diversified with hills and valleys, and generally fertile, though skirted on the west by the lofty hills and barren summits of Dartmoor Forest. It had 3080 inhabitants in 1801, and 4165 in 1831, but in 1841 they had decreased to 3841, owing to the decline of the serge and blanket manufacture. . . The PARISH CHURCH (St. Andrew,) is a spacious cruciform structure with a tower rising from the centre to the height of 90 feet, and crowned by pinnacles at the corners, and by a semi-octagonal turret on its southern face. . . The vicarage, valued in K.B. £38. 8s. 11½d., and in 1831 at £639, with the perpetual curacies of Bickington and Buckland-in-the-Moor annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. . . Near the church stood the ancient Chapel of St. Lawrence, of which the ancient tower and spire are still standing, but the body was rebuilt about a century ago, and is now the Grammar school, . . . The Wesleyans, Baptists, and Independents, have chapels in the town. . . Sunday Schools are attached to the church and chapels. An Infant School is supported chiefly by the vicar, and the parish has two endowed schools, and various charities for the poor. Here is also a Subscription Library, containing about 2000 volumes. . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Teignbridge Hundred, a Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, that had 3080 inhabitants in 1801. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.