"ASHBURY parish, 5 miles S.W. of Hatherleigh, has only 65 souls, and 1560 acres of land, nearly all the property and manor of John Morth Woollcombe, Esq., of Ashbury House, a fine old mansion, with tasteful grounds, where his family has been seated since 1685. The Church (St. Mary) is a small structure, which has lately been repewed, at the expense of Mr Woolcombe. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £109, is in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. H. Woolcombe, who is also rector of High Hampton and Pillaton. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.