[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"ASHBURY, a parish in the hundred of Black Torrington, in the county of Devon, 5 miles to the N.W. of Okehampton. Hatherleigh is its post town. A branch of the river Torridge runs through it. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £96, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The principal residence is Ashbury House."