Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Ashprington 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

ASHPRINGTON

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

ASHPRINGTON, or Ashpreignton, is a small neat village, picturesquely seated on a gentle slope, near the confluence of the river Harbourn with the estaury of the Dart, 2½ miles S.E. of Totnes. Its parish contains 588 souls, and 2644 acres of fertile land, including the hamlets of Washbourn and Yeatson and part of Tuckenhay, where there is a large paper mill, a corn mill, and quarries of hard stone, of which great quantities are exported in vessels of 160 tons, to London, &c., for Macadamizing roads. Richard Durant, Esq., owns a great part of the parish, and is lord of the manor of Sharpham, where he has a large and handsome freestone mansion with extensive and well-wooded grounds, descending to the western bank of the river Dart, amidst some of the most beautiful scenery of the valley. He has lately much improved the village by erecting a new inn, and rebuilding many of the cottages. This manor has been held successively by the Winard, French, Prideaux, Drewe, Giles, Yarde, Cockey, Pownall, and Bastard families. Painsford, an ancient mansion, on the banks of the river Harbourn, is the seat and property of Mr. Philip Mitchelmore, and has been successively held by the Piperell, Halwill, Somaster, Kellond, Courtenay, and other families. It was formerly much larger than at present and its dilapidated chapel, though disused since the middle of last century, still retains its pulpit, pews, and altar-piece, and has a suit of armour hanging over the communion rails. The left wing of the house has a fine row of arches. The Rev. G. T. Carwithen, Mr.W. D. Adams, C. Pearce, Esq., Mr. T. Mudge, J. Browne, Esq., and several other freeholders have estates in the parish. The Church (St. David,) is a handsome structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and five bells. It has lately been renovated, and new mullions and tracery of Bath stone, have been inserted, chiefly at the expense of Richard Durant, Esq. The clustered columns of the nave have foliated capitals, and in the chancel is a fine recedos, in seven compartments, of Caen stone. On the walls are several handsome marble tablets, in memory of members of the Somaster, Kellond, Bastard, and other families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £29. 1s. 8d., and in 1831 at £560, is in the patronage of the Rev. T. G. Carwithen, and has been held by the Rev. Jacob Ley, M.A., since 1795. The Rectory House is a neat mansion, and the glebe is 28A. 3R. 17P. The tithes were commuted in 1844, for £537 per annum. The Parish School is a neat building, in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1847, by Richard Durant, Esq., at the cost of £600, and chiefly supported by him. The Church House is occupied by poor families, and here is an Almshouse for six poor persons, given by Sir Edward Giles, Kt., in 1628, but now much dilapidated, and only partially occupied.

DIRECTORY

Marked 2, are at Painsford; 3, Tuckenhay; 4,Yeatson; and 5, at Washbourn.


Carter Mr
Durant Richard, Esq. Sharpham Hs
Farleigh Valentine, shoemaker
Finch James, carpenter
3 Lakeman Jph. coal merchant, (and Dartmouth)
Ley Rev Jacob, M.A. Rectory
Martin Mr Robt.
Mitchelmore Philip, gent. Painsford
Mudge Thos. coal, stone & manure merchant, Springfield
Pearce Cyprian, Esq. New House
Northcote Major hugh, Dunstone Hs
Rogers Rt., & Phillips Sarah, school
Roper thomas, millwright
Turner Rd. paper mfr. Tuckernhay

PUBLIC HOUSES

Ashprington Inn, Wm. Cox
Commercial, Hugh Torring
3 Malsters' Arms, John Dennis
Watermans's Arms, Robt. Ashwick

BLACKSMITHS

Ashwick Robert
5 Life Thomas

BUTCHERS

Tucker Wm.
Williams Richd.

CORN MILLERS

2 Ball Wm.
Ball Wm. jun. Stps
CameJno. T. Bow
3 Mumford John
5 Williams Henry

FARMERS

(* are owners)

5 Bowden Wm.
*Edwards John, Blackdown
Earle, John
Elliott Mrs. Bow
Foale Rt. & Henry
Foale Wm. J. H. Frogmore
Hewitt Wm.
*Moysey John
5 Manning Wm.
4 Mumford Mtw.
Taylor Robert
4 Wills Joseph
4 Wright John

MASONS

Butland Matthew
Newland Benj.

SHOPKEEPERS

3 Jones Wm.
Phillips Robert
5 Tope John

POST

to Totnes, 4 aftn. from the Inn