"ATHERINGTON, a village and parish in the Taw valley, 8 miles W. by S. of South Molton, and E.N.E. of Torrington, has 629 souls, and 3325 acres of land, including the hamlets of Langridge and Eastacombe. A. Bassett, Esq., is lord of the manor of Umberleigh, which extends over this and High Bickington parish, and had an ancient chantry chapel, which was pulled down in 1800. Buriate is an estate belonging to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge; and Wootton belongs to the representatives of the Melhuish family. The Church (St. Mary,) is a fine old structure, with several ancient monuments and brasses, and a carved oak screen, which was brought from Umberleigh chapel. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in North Tawton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) Atherington, marriages, 1607. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908). [Full text]