From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
BEAFORD, a pleasant village, on the eastern acclivity of the Torridge valley, 5 miles S.E. of Great Torrington, has in its parish 713 souls, and 3335 acres of land, including Kiverly, Woolly, Upcott, and a number of scattered farm houses, &c. J. H. Furse, Esq., is lord of the manor, but Woolly belongs to Sir T. D. Acland, and several smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church (All Saints,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells; and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 15s. 7½d., and in 1831 at £233, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Wood, B.A., who has 77A. 2R. 15P. of glebe, and a handsome residence, built in 1850. The Baptists and Bible Christians have small chapels here. The parish clerk has the free use of a house and 6 acres of land, given at an early period. There were formerly chapels at Upcott and Woolly.
Ashton Thos. grocer, and Mr Wm.
Hammett Hy. blacksmith
Heard Arthur, plumber and seedsman
Heard John, timber merchant, &c
Heard Robert, vict. and gunsmith
Heard Wm. blacksmith
Marshall Wm. maltster, &c.
Snell Wm. maltster and miller
Weeks Wm. butcher
Westcott John, grocer and schoolmaster
Westcott Wm. vict. Globe
Wood Rev Chas., B.A . Rectory
Brian Randell, 21 Jun 1996