"BEAWORTHY, a village and parish among the hills, 8 miles S.W. of Hatherleigh, contains 405 inhabitants, and 6270 acres of land, mostly belonging to Sir Wm. Molesworth, and partly to J.M. Woolcombe, Esq., J. Smale, C. Brown, and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Alban,) is a small antique structure, with a tower and three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6. 6s., and in 1831 at £146, is in the patronage of Sir Wm. Molesworth, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Molesworth, M.A., of St. Breock, Cornwall. The Rectory House was rebuilt four years ago. The glebe is 80A. of poor land, and the tithes were commuted in 1843 for £105 per annum. The Bible Christians have a small chapel here; and the poor have the interest of £16. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.