A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
BERRY-POMEROY, a parish in the hundred of HAYTOR, county of DEVON, 1¾ mile (E. N. E.) from Totness, containing 1255 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £18. 19. 7., and in the patronage of the Duke of Somerset. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a finely carved wooden screen and rood-loft. The navigable river Dart runs along the south-western side of the parish. Here are the ruins of Berry castle, founded by Ralph de Pomeroy, soon after the Conquest.