Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bickleigh 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BICKLEIGH

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

BICKLEIGH is a small village on the western side of the river Plym, in the picturesque vale to which it gives name, six miles N. by E. of Plymouth. Its parish contains 469 souls, and 2980 acres of land, including the village of Jump, and many scattered houses. Bickleigh Vale is much reorted to by anglers and the lovers of woodland scenery, who find excellent entertainment at Maristow Inn. The Plymouth and Devonport leats, and Dartmoor Railway, cross this parish; and at Jump are two annual fairs, on the third Wednesdays in April and September. The manor was long held by Buckland Abbey, and afterwards by the Slannings, Modyfords, and Heywoods, the latter of whom sold it to S. M. M. Lopes, in 1798. Sir Ralph Lopes, Bart., is now lord of the manor, owner of most of the soil, impropriator of the rectory, and patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £11. 7s, 4d. and in 1831 at £300, with the perpetual curacy of Sheepstor annexed to it. The Rev. J. D. Cork, M.A., is the incumbent, and has a good residence, recently enlarged. The Church was rebuilt by Sir R. Lopes, in 1839, except the tower, which contains six bells. The interior is neatly fitted up, and the east window is enriched with stained glass. The poor have £100 three per cent. consols, purchased with the gifts of Elizabeth Modyford and John Herring.

DIRECTORY

Marked * are at Jump

* Clemens Thomas, wheelwright
Cork Rev Jph. Duncan, M.A. vicar
Gent John, miller, Roboro' Mill
* Giles George, land agent
* Hamley Joseph, blacksmith
* Lane Jacob, vict. Lopes' Arms
* Lethbridge Robt.
* Parnell John, saddler
Reed Wm. vict. Maristow Inn
* Symons John, mason
Ward Wm. M.

BEER HOUSES.

Towl Elizabeth
Weeks Walter

BOOT & SHOE MKS.

* Box James
* Oates George

FARMERS.

Atwill John
Blake John
Brock Wm.
Hannaford Wm.
Hodge John
Lillicrap Fras.
Mason Lawrence
Mumford Wm.
Peeke Joshua
Peeke Thomas
Southall Gad
Waycott John
Westlake Wm.
Widdicombe W.

SHOPKEEPERS.

Cole John
* King Wm.
* Weeks Walter