"BITTADON is a small parish, 6 miles N. by W. of Barnstaple, containing only about 1000 acres, and 78 inhabitants. The manor was successively held by the Lutterell, Chichester, Acland, and Barbor families. W.A. Yeo, Esq., now owns most of the parish, and is lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £6. 2s. 8½d., and in 1831 at £83, in the incumbency of the Rev. Francis Mules, who has 25½A. of glebe, but no parsonage. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for £75 per annum. The Church (St Peter,) is a small antique edifice, mantled with ivy. The only farmers in the parish are Thomas Brown, Barton; Richard Shapland, Upcott; and George Smith, Glebe." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Braunton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.