"BRADSTONE, on the east side of the Tamar valley, 8 miles N.W. by W. of Tavistock, has in its parish 166 souls, and 1257 acres of land. The houses are scattered. H. Blagrove, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of two-thirds of the soil, and the rest belongs chiefly to A. Kelly Esq. The manor house, which was the seat of the Cloberry family till 1750, is an old Tudor building, occupied by a farmer, and approached through a large gate-house. The Church (St. Nun,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. It still retains all its old carved benches, and part of the screen. The rectory, valued in K.B.. at £6. 7s. 2d., and in 1831 at £222, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Johnes, B.A., who has a good residence, and 64A. of glebe. the tithes were commuted in 1843 for £210 per annum. John Doble died here in 1604, aged 120 years. " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.
Nick Mayne has prepared an index to the 1891 census, and is prepared to check for particular names in it on request.
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) Bradstone. 1611-1626. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908). [Full text]