"BRADWORTHY, a scattered village, near the sources of the small river Waldon, 6½ miles N. by W. of Holsworthy, has in its parish 1081 souls, and 9856 acres of land, including a large portion of hilly moorland, and the small hamlets of Denworthy, Alfardisworthy, Kimsworthy, and Youlston. A fair is held in the village on September 9th. The manor, with a fair on St. John's day, was granted to Lord Brewer by King John. After passing to various families, the manor was sold in severalities, and it now belongs to C.H. Hotchkys, Esq., the Trustees of the late L.S. Ashton, A.B. Wren, Esq., and a few smaller freeholders. The Church (St. John,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells, and the living is a vicarage, valued in K.B. at £25. 5s. 5d., and in 1831 at £283, with the perpetual curacy of Pancrasweek annexed to it. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. J.B. Clyde, B.A., is the incumbent, and has a good residence, and 25A. 2R. 3P. of glebe. . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter.