"BRATTON-CLOVELLY, a small village, on a bold eminence, 8 miles W.S.W. of Okehampton, has in its parish 870 inhabitants, and 8316A. of land, including 2000A. of moorland; the hamlets of Brockscombe, Burnaby, and Burrow, and many scattered houses. The soil belongs to J.G. Newton, Esq., J.M. Woollcombe, Esq., Sir William Molesworth, S. Wreford, Esq., Rev. H. Coham, S.S. Hamlyn, Esq., and several smaller owners. The Church is a large and handsome structure, in the early decorated style, with a tower and six bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £21. 5s. 2½d., and in 1831 at £468, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Budge, B.A., who has a good old residence, and 161A. 1R. 27P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1845, for £460 per annum. The Barton was long the seat of the ancient family of Burnaby" [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.