Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Bridestowe 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

BRIDESTOWE

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

transcribed by

Neil Stanton

BRIDESTOWE - a neat and improving village, in a pleasant valley near Dartmoor, six miles S.W. of Okehampton, has in its parish 1128 souls, and 5661 acres of land, including Coombe-Ball, Watergate, Fernworthy, Bidlake, many scattered houses, and a large tract of moorland hills, in which are the lead and copper mines of Wheal-Mary, Wheal-Newton, &c. The manors and their resident owners are, Cobham-Wick and Blatchford, J.G. Newton Esq.; and Leawood, S.C. Hamlyn Esq.; but J.M. Woollcombe Esq., the Rev. J. Woollcombe, and many smaller owners, have estates in this parish. Millaton, a handsome mansion, with tasteful grounds, is the seat of J.G. Newton Esq., and was rebuilt about the close of the 17th century, but was much enlarged and beautified some years ago. In the house is a fine museum of stuffed birds &c., and a richly carved oak bedstead of the Elizabethan age. On the site of the ancient domestic chapel some coins of Louis IX. of France were found some years ago. Leawood, the seat of S.C. Hamlyn Esq., is a fine old mansion, which was long the seat of the Calmady family. Cattle fairs are held in the village on the first Wednesday in June and July 29th. The Church (St. Bridget) is a small antique fabric, with a tower and six bells, and several neat monuments. The chancel was rebuilt some years ago. The entrance gate to the churchyard is a fine Norman arch, supposed to be the remains of the original church. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £32. 17s. 11d., and in 1831 at £513, with the curacy of Sourton annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. H. Howell, who built the present large and handsome Rectory House, and has 70A. of glebe, and the manor of Bridestowe Sanctuary. The tithes were commuted in 1846 for £317 5s per annum. A field of 3A has been long vested for the reparation of the church. The Baptists and Bible Christians have small chapels here. The National School, established about 10 years ago, is attended by about 200 children.

Brock Betsy vict., Royal Oak
Brownson John H. Schoolmaster
Churchward Henry, Auctioneer, Land Surveyor &c. Stone
Gill and Rundle, Lime Burners
Gould James, Butcher
Hamlyn Shilston Calmady, Esq. Leawood
Hockin Wm Cooper
Howell Rev Hinds, Rectory
Jackman Ric. vict, Fox and Hounds
Linton James and John, masons
Newcombe Wm., courier &c
Newton John Gubbins Esq. Millaton
Palmer James, Brewer and Maltster
Pike John, Shoemaker
Youlden Samuel, millwright, &c
Younge Rd. J. G. vict., White Hart

 

 

BLACKSMITHS
Alford Wm.
Bowford John
Coombe Edward
Sercombe Samuel

CARPENTERS
(* Wheelwrights)

*Alford Walter
Chebb Robert
*Shopland James
Weekes John

SADDLERS
Bevan John
Joyce James

SHOPKEEPERS
Coombe John
Peard John
Rundle John

TAILORS
Peard John
Southcombe Thomas

POST OFFICE at J Bowden's
FARMERS
Baily Wm.
Baker Thomas
Ball Geo. Bidlake
Ball Wm Mill
Batten Daniel
Bickle John
Bolt John
Brook John
Brook Phillip
Doidge Arthur
Ellis Wm.
Friend James
Hill Wm
Hortop Roger
Jackman Robert
Kennard John
Kennard Thomas
Lavis Edward
Lock Wm.
Martin John
Mason John
Orchard Richard
Palmer John
Palmer Wm.
Rule George
Stanbury Wm.
Vodden Wm.
Yelland David
Yelland Wm.

 

 

Brian Randell, 10 May 2003