"BRIXTON, a pleasant village, 4½ miles E. of Plymouth, has in its parish 822 souls, and 2865 acres of fertile land, bounded on the south-east by the Yealm estuary, and including the small hamlets of Spriddleston, Hareston, Winston, and Coombe. The manor of Brixton, anciently called Britricheston, was long held by a family of its own name, but was dismembered many years ago. T.W. Parrott, Esq., is lord of the manor of Hareston, which he derived from the Winters. This manor was successively held by the Reynald, Hareston, Silverlock, and Wood families. . . . Mr. Elliott is lord of the manor of Spriddleston, which has been held successively by the Spriddle, Fortescue, Lane, and other families. E.R.P. Bastard and Sir T.T.F.E. Drake own a great part of the parish, the former having Wollaton, and the latter the Sherford estate. The Church has a lofty tower and five bells, and is an ancient structure in the decorated style. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Plympton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.