A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
BRIXTON, a parish in the hundred of PLYMPTON, county of DEVON, 2¼ miles (S.S.E.) from Earl's Plympton, containing 854 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, endowed with £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church first received the right of sepulture from the prior of Plympton, in 1478. The river Yealm is navigable on the south of this parish. In 1677, several elm plants were put into the ground by Edward Fortescue, Esq., in order that, when arrived at maturity, the trees might be cut down for the benefit of the poor, their places to be supplied by fresh plants.