"BROADHEMPSTON, a village and parish, 4½ miles N. of Totnes, has 747 souls, and 2047A. 1R. 28P. of land, including the hamlets, &c., of Ford, Bearton, Wenton, Halswill, and Bicaton. Mr. Edward Palk is lord of the manor, but most of the soil belongs to Rt. Michelmore, J. Harris, W. and J. Blackler, W. Venning, G. Bowden, C. Skinner, T. Luscombe, and a few smaller owners. The manor anciently belonged to the Cantelupes, and its lords had the power of inflicting capital punishment. The Church is a large and antique fabric, with a tower and five bells. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £25. 6s. 8d., and in 1831, at £366, is in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. J. Pitman, B.C.L., who has a good residence and 37A. 2r. 26P. of glebe. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.