"BROADWOOD-KELLY, is a village and parish, 5½ miles E. by N. of Hatherleigh, containing 471 souls, and 2666 acres of land, including the hamlet of Splats. Benj. Cleave, Esq., is lord of the manor, formerly held by the Kelly, Belston, Gilbert and other families: but a great part of the parish belongs to the Davie, Hole, Arnold, Sampson, and Parker families. The soil is freehold and generally poor. The Church stands on an elevated site, and was thoroughly repaired, repewed, and new roofed about 16 years ago, when five new bells were fixed in the tower. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £19. 7s. 6d., and in 1831 at £257, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. N.J.B. Hole, B.C.L., who has a neat modern residence, and 73A. of glebe. The poor have the interest of £24, left by several donors, and vested with the overseers." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter.