"BROADWOODWIDGER, or Broadwood Wiger, is a village of old cob buildings, on the acclivity of a valley, six miles N.E. of Launceston. Its parish contains 923 souls, and 8780A. of land, including 1500a. of common, 140A. of wood, 100A. of orchards, the hamlets of Rixton and Kallacott, and many scattered houses. The manors and their owners are, Broadwoodwidger and Upcott, Hy. Blagrove, Esq.; Norden Bason, Lord Clinton; More Malherbe, Rev. C.T.C. Luxmoore; and Deanacary, Hy. Hawkes, Esq. Lord Ashburton, Sir Wm. Molesworth, the Misses May, Jas. Lay, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates here, mostly freehold. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. It retains most of its old carved oak benches, and has some remains of stained glass in its windows. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Also known as Bradwood Widger. A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. According to Peskett: "this parish was transferred during the period 1875 to ca 1919 to the deanery of Trigg Major and Archdeaconry of Cornwall."
Turton, S.D. & Weddell, P.J. Roadford Reservoir Project: Documentary History of Broadwoodwidger Manor and the Tenements of Goatacre and Shop. Exeter: Exeter Museum Archaeological Field Unit (1988).22p,p of maps.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX411891 (Lat/Lon: 50.679745, -4.250545), Broadwoodwidger which are provided by:
Wills for this parish were proved in the Court of the Archdeacon of Cornwall, and are now held by the Cornwall Record Office. They are listed in:
Glencross, R.M. (ed.). Calendar of Wills, Administrations and Accounts Relating to the Counties of Cornwall and Devon in the Connotorial Archdiaconal Court of Cornwall (with which are included the records of the Royal Peculiar of St. Burian) now preserved in the District Probate Office at Bodmin. Index Library, vols. 56 & 59.