Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Charles 1935

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

CHARLES

Kelly's Directory Devonshire 1935

Transcribed by Deborah Carmichael

Charles is a parish and village on a hill above the picturesque valley of the river Bray, 3 miles north from Filleigh station on the Taunton and Barnstaple branch of the Great Western railway, 6½ north-by-west from South Molton, and 9 east from Barnstaple, in the South Molton division of the county, Sherwill hundred, petty sessional division, rural district, county court district and rural deanery of South Molton, archdeanery of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter. The church of St John the Baptist is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells, rehung in 1897: at the east end is a memorial window erected in 1925 to celebrate the centenary of R.D. Blackmore, the novelist, who wrote some of his best-known works at Charles rectory: in the church is an inscribed brass to George Kellie M.A. rector, ob. March 10, 1649, and Ursula, his wife, ob. November 13, 1636: the church was restored in 1891, and affords 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1531. The living is a rectory, net yearly value 450 pound, in the gift of Sir Percy Elly Bates bart., G.B.E. and held since 1916 by the Rev. Walter William Joyce M.A. of Hatfield Hall, Durham, and A.K.C.L. The old chapel, dedicated to St. Petrox in 1424, has been converted into the rectory. There is a Methodist chapel at Charles Bottom. There is an ancient stone circle in the parish. The farmers mostly own the land. The soil is light and good; subsoil, skillett rock. The chief crops are oats, roots and pasturage. The area is 2,400 acres of land and 10 of water; population in 1931 was 215.

Brayford is a hamlet, 1½ miles north, on the west bank of the Bray, over which is a bridge of one arch. There is a Methodist chapel here and a Baptist chapel built in 1815, with 130 sittings

Letters through Barnstaple, West Buckland nearest M.C.   Brayford nearest T. office

Charles

Commercial

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over Andrews Jn. farmer, Lane farm
Bowen Edwin Jn. farmer Grange farm
Bowen Fredk. Jas. farmer, Whilcombe
#Cotsford Fredk. Jas. smallholder, Charlesbottom
#Courtney Wm. shoe repr. Mountwhistle
#Dymond Arth. Chas. smallholder, West Blakewell
#Friendship Jas. Hy. farmer, Oarestone
Harding Jas. Greenslade, farmer, Grass pk
Jones Rd. farmer, Sandy pk
Joyce Rev. Wltr. Wm. M.A. farmer, Walland
Leech Fredk, farmer, Shutscombe
#Norman Wm. road contractor, Mountwhistle
Passmore, Michl. farmer, Deer pk
Pyne Fredk. farmer, Mockham
Skinner Jn. Hy. farmer, Slade
*Thorne Wm. H.   Son, farmers, Stock farm

#Tucker Herbt. smallholder, Charlesbottom
#Wedlake Geo. farmer, East Blakewell
Woolacott Levi, farmer, Hudley Mill

Brayford

Private Residents

Beor Capt. Guy, Little Bray House
Dallyn Frederick, Rock Villa
Lower Rev Charles Stanley (Baptist), The Manse
Strick Frank Little Bray House

Commercial

Davey Frank, carpenter
Huxtable Alfd. farmer, Lower Brayford hill
Huxtable Richard, grocer
Shapland A. J farm bailiff to F. Strick esq Little Bray
Shute Thos. Wm. gardener to F. Strick esq Mildmay cott
Thorne Herbt. Jacob, farmer Higher Brayford hill
Vanstone Ernest, blacksmith

Brian Randell, 8 Jan 2009