"CHELDON is a village and parish, intersected on the south by the Little Dart river, 4 miles north-east from Eggesford station on the North Devon branch of the London and South Western railway, 4 east-by-south from Chulmleigh, in the Northern division of the county, Witheridge hundred, South Molton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Chulmleigh, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. Mary is a small building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: it was restored in 1873 by the Earl of Portsmouth, at a cost of £500, and has 40 sittings. The register dates from the year 1708. ... The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,111 acres; rateable value, £576; the population in 1901 was 46." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]