Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Cheriton Bishop 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

CHERITON BISHOP

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

CHERITON-BISHOP, or South Cheriton, a village on the Okehampton road, 9½ miles W. of Exeter, and 6 miles S.W. of Crediton, has in its parish 848 souls, and about 5000 acres of land, of which 4719 acres are rateable. The gross rental is £1397. The parish has many scattered houses, and includes the hamlet of Cheriton Cross, and part of the village of CROCKERNWELL, which is partly in Drewsteignton parish, and gives name to a division for which petty sessions are held at the Royal Hotel, on the first Monday of every month. The Bishops of Exeter were formerly lords of Cheriton, but the manor was alienated in the reign of Henry VIII. Baldwin Fulford, Esq., is now lord of the manors of Eggbeare and Lampford, which have been long held by his family, but a great part of the parish belongs to Dr. Pennell, the Rev. Wm. Ponsford, George Ponsford, Esq., Wm. Lambert, Esq., and many smaller freeholders. Medland was a seat of the Foulkes family, but the estate was sold in parcels some years ago. The parish Church (St. Mary,) has a tower and six bells, and contains some monuments of the Davy family. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £22. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £360, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Mallock, B.D., who has an old thatched residence, and 53A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £399 per ann. The Church lands, &c., comprise about 4 acres and three houses, let for about £13 a year. The poor have the interest of £45, left by various donors, and a yearly rent-charge of 20s., left by Wm. Strong, in 1728, out of Blackpits estate, at Tedburn St. Mary. Here is a National School, and at Crockernwell is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1847.

Marked 2 are at Cheriton Cross; 3, at Crockermwel1, and the others at CHERITON-BISHOP or where specified

Bean Felix, gent. Venbridge House
3 Bolt Robert, shopkeeper, Post Office
3 Endacott Henry, saddler
Harris John, schoolmr. & asst. overseer
3 Langdon Wm. butcher
Mallock Rev Wm., B.D. Rectory

FARMERS. (* are Owners.)
Bolt Robert, Waterland
Bolt Thomas, Higher Mounson
Brimblecombe Wm. Honey ford
Brook James, Coxland
2 Chudley Sar.
Gibbins Jonas
Finch Wm. Hooperton
* Gorwyn John, Hole farm
* Gorwyn George, Medland House
Guscott Wm. Furze Down
3 Hamley Wm,.
Hole Joseph
* Haydon John
Hole John
Haydon Samuel
* Haydon Wm.
* Haydon Wm. Westford
Hutchins Wm. Westbeare
Kemble Samuel, Lower Mounson
Remble Robert, Lewdon
Kemble Wm. Tillerton
Leach Joseph, Middle Eggbeare
Pitts Daniel
Sampson John
Seward John
Snell Andrew
Wills George
Wolland Moses
* Wreford Samuel, Orchard Lake

INN AND TAVERNS.
3 Golden Lion, Wm. Langdon
2 New Inn, John Lias
Rest and be Thankful, John Hole
Ring of Bells, John Hole
3 Royal Hotel, Wm. Hamley
Roval Oak, Ann Browning

BLACKSMITHS.
2 Ashplant John
2 Davy Samuel

BOOT & SHOEMAKERS.
3 Bolt George
3 Preston Andw.
Smith Samuel
2 Townsend Geo.

CARPENTERS.
2 Browning Jas.
3 Chudley John and Wm.
3 Fewins Samuel (& wheelwgt)
Groves John

MASONS.
3 Ching Thos.
Tancock Geo.
Tancock Joseph

TAILORS.
Osborn John
3 Osborn Wm.

POST-OFFICE at Robert Bolt's, Crockernwell

Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998