"CHERITON FITZPAINE is a pleasant village on an acclivity near one of the tributary streams of the river Creedy, 5 miles N.N.E. of Crediton. Its parish has many scattered farm houses, &c. and comprises 1156 souls, and 5290 acres of land, rising boldly towards the south and west. The Rev. W.H. Arundel, M.A., is patron and incumbent of the rectory, and also lord of the manor, which was anciently held by the Stanton, Fitzpaine,, and other families; but the chief part of the soil belongs to Sir H.R.F. Davie, Mrs. Fursdon, (owner of Upcott,) J.C. Luxmore, Esq., and many other freeholders. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £37. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £793, has a good residence and 38A. 1R. 21P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £1000 per annum. The Church (St. Mary,) is a large ancient structure, with a tower and five bells , and a painted east window. The parish has an Independent Chapel and several charities. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in West Budleigh Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.