Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Clovelly 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

CLOVELLY

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

CLOVELLY, or Clovelleigh, is a pleasant village and fishing station, occupying a singular and picturesque situation, on the side of a steep rock, adjoining Bideford Bay, about 4 miles E. Hartland, and 11 miles W.S.W. of Bideford. It is one of the most romantic places in Devon, and the houses being built upon the precipitous side of the sea cliff, one above the other; the main street ascends in terraces and flights of steps from the beach and pier. Clovelly is celebrated for its herring fishery, besides which large quantities of conger, whiting, hake, pollock, and cod fish are caught in the winter; and turbot, sole, plaice, gurnet, and mackerel in summer. Its parish had 950 inhabitants in July, 1841, besides 40 seamen, who were then absent; and contains about 4200 acres of land, mostly the property of Sir James Hamlyn Williams, Bart., who is lord of the manor, and has a large and handsome seat, called CLOVELLY COURT, erected about 1780, on the site of the ancient mansion, which was destroyed by fire. The views from the house and grounds are extremely grand; and above the cliffs, to the south-east of the village, are the remains of an entrenchment, called Clovelly Dikes, of a square form, and unknown origin. The Giffords were anciently lords of the manor, but in the time of Richard II. it was sold to Sir John Cary, Knight, by whose family a small harbour and pier were made. The manor was purchased about 1730, by Zachary Hamlyn, Esq., whose great nephew was created a baronet in 1795. The late baronet assumed the name of Williams in consequence of his father's marriage with the heiress of the Williams family, of Edwinsford, in Carmarthenshire. The Church (All Saints,) is a small ancient structure, with a low tower, situated near Clovelly Court. It was made collegiate in 1387, by Sir Wm. Cary, who settled in it a warden and six chaplains, to whom he gave the advowson and the great tithes. The living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £19. 11s. 5½d., and in 1881 at £276, in the patronage of Sir J. H. Williams, and incumbency of the Rev. Z. H. Drake, M.A., who has a good residence, and about 100A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1838, for about £200 per annum. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel; and school for 50 girls, supported by Lady Williams. A gallery, built in church by the Rev.- Prince, is let for £3 a year, which is applied in schooling poor children.

Williams Sir James Hamlyn, Bart. Clovelly Court
Drake Rev Zachary H., M.A. rector
Dalton Rev Henry, M.A. curate
Finch James, beerseller
Grills Nichls., & Bierman P. shoemks
Heard Wm. grocer and draper

Hockington Rd. coast guard
Parsons John, tailor
Vine Saml. vict. Red Lion
Westlake Mr Joseph
Whitefield Ann, grocer and draper
Whitefield Rt. vict. New Inn

FARMERS.

Ashton Wm.
Bartlett James
Bartlett Thomas
Burrows James
Ching Thomas
Ching Wm.
Cleverdon Wm.
Eddy John
Hamlyn Thos.
Hamlyn T. jun
Hackeridge Ts.
Hackeridge T. ju.
Jewell Henry
Jewell Joseph
Squires John

POST-OFFICE at John Dannell's

Brian Randell, 1 Dec 2002