CLOVELLY, co. Devon
A Topographical Dictionary of England,
By Nicholas Carlisle
London, Longman & Co.. (1808)
Clovelly in the hund. of Hartland, Co. of Devon: a R. valued in the King's Books at £19..10..5½.: Patron J. Hamlyn, Esq.: Church ded. to All Saints. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 714. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £239..10..3, at 4s. 6d. in the pound. It is 11¼ m. W. b. S. from Bideford. - "William Cary had licence from the King to make the Parish Church here Collegiate, and therein to establish a Warden and Six Chaplains, 11 Richard II." Tanner's Not. Mon. - "The Harbours of Clovelly and Hartland are appended to the Port of Bideford. The former place is very curious and deserves observation. It is built on the Side of a steep Rock, to which the Houses seem joined like Pidgeon Huts against a Wall. At the bottom there is a small Pier. The Place is famous for the best Herrings taken in the Channel." - Watkin's Hist. of Bideford, p. 276.
Transcribed - Brian Randell, 16 Jul 2018