"CLIST HONITON, a village and parish on the east side of the river Clist, 4 miles E. by N. of Exeter, contains 467 souls, and 1760 acres of land. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are lords of the manor, owners of most of the soil, impropriators of the great tithes, and patrons of the perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £146, and now enjoyed by the Rev. W.W. Bagnell, B.A., who has nearly 3A. of glebe, and £165 a year in lieu of tithes. The Church is a fine old structure, with a tower and six bells, and contains several monumental memorials of the Yarde, Short, and other families. In 1691, Thos. Weare left various rent-charges out of Holbrook estate for schooling poor children of this and other parishes. The annuity payable to this parish is £4. 10s." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter.