[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"COCKINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Haytor, in the county of Devon, 2 miles from Torquay, its post town. It was anciently a market town, and is situated near Tor Bay. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Tor Mohun, in the diocese of Exeter, joint value about £400, in the patronage of C. H. Mallock, Esq. The church possesses a curious octagonal font, and several tombs of the Carys of Tor Abbey. The charities are worth about £41 6s. per annum, chiefly for almshouses. Cockington Court is the seat of C. H. Mallock, Esq."