"COLYTON RAWLEIGH, or COLATON RALEIGH, a straggling village, on the west side of the Otter valley, 11 miles E. by S. of Exeter, and 3 ½ miles W. of Sidmouth, has in its parish 841 souls and 3331 acres of land, rising boldly from the valley, and including the small hamlets of Bystock, Blackbury, Great Grindle, Hawkerland, Kingston, Stoneyford, and Stowford, extending from 1 to 3 miles N. and W. of the village. The manor of Colyton was conveyed by the heiress of the Chiltons to the Raleighs, in the reign of Henry III. The latter held it till the 16th century, and it afterwards passed to the Dukes, and from them to the Rolles. The Trustees of the late Lord Rolle now own a great part of the parish. The other principal proprietor of the parish is Edward Divett, Esq., M.P. of BYSTOCK, a large and elegant white mansion, . . . The Dean of Exeter has a rectorial manor, and is impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16. 4s. 9 ½d., and in 1831 at £401. The Rev. Noel Lowe is the vicar, and has a pleasant residence and 42A. of glebe. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter. The modern parish of Woodbury Salterton (1845) was formed partly from Colaton Raleigh and partly from Woodbury. Part of the Otter Valley area.