"COLEBROOKE, a pleasant village, on an acclivity near a tributary stream of the river Yew, four miles W. of Crediton, has in its parish 878 inhabitants, and 4990 acres of land, including the hamlet of Coleford, part of Coplestone, and many scattered farm houses, &c. A. Coryton, Esq., is lord of the manor, which was anciently held under the Bishop of Exeter. The other principal owners are J. Sillifant, Esq., J.H. Hippisley, Esq., S. Hamlyn, Esq., the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, S. Norrish, Esq., and Mr. R. Madge. . . . The Church (St. Mary,) is a large limestone structure, with a handsome tower, containing five bells. The south transept belongs to S. Norrish, Esq., and the beautiful north aisle to S. Hamlyn, Esq. There were formerly small chapels at Coplestone, Landsend, Horwell, Hooke, and Wolmerstone, in this parish. . . . The Rev. Thomas Drosier, A.B. is the incumbent, and has 14A. of glebe, and a good residence." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. Peskett: Coplestone is at the meeting point of the parishes of Colebrooke, Crediton and Down St. Mary.