Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Combeinteignhead 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

COMBEINTEIGNHEAD

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

COMBEINTEIGNHEAD. (Combe-in-Teign-Head,) is a village and parish on the south side of the estuary of the river Teign, 3 miles E. of Newton-Abbot, and 10 miles N.E. by N. of Totnes. It is in the detached part of Wonford Hundred, and contains 425 souls, and 2217A. 1R. 8P. of land, including the hamlets of Netherton, Rocombe, and Ringmore. (See Shaldon.) The manor of Combe-in-Teign was long held by the Bourchiers, Earls of Bath, but was sold to 10 or 12 purchasers about 30 years ago, by their representative Sir Bourchier Wrey, Bart., who has also recently disposed of the advowson of the rectory. Lady Reynell, Sir W.P. Carew, W. Wilkin, Esq., and several other proprietors, have estates here. The remains of an ancient mansion, called Buckland Baron, are occupied by labourers. The estate attached to this house was anciently held by the Baron family, and passed to the Earl of Cavan, in right of his mother, who was heiress of the late Mr. Justice Gould. Part of the parish is in the manor of Haccombe. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells, and the aisles are divided from the nave by octagonal pillars. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £32. 2s. 8 ½d., and in 1831 at £377, is in the patronage of J.W. Harding and W. Long, Esqrs., and incumbency of the Rev. John Wrey, M.A., who has a handsome residence in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1840. The glebe is 23A. 3R. 17P., and the tithes were commuted in 1842 for £358 per annum. An old almshouse for four poor families is supposed to have been founded by an ancestor of the Earl of Bath. The poor have two ancient rent-charges of 5s. and 2s. per annum. The dividends of £100 three cent. annuities, left by Margaret Burgoyne in 1789, are paid for the education of ten poor children, at the National School.

Barrett Jane, schoolmistress
Boden Miss Sus.
Dicker Mrs
Clynick John, sexton
Fowler John, baker
Garrett Samuel, mason
Honeywill George, cooper
Limpenny John, schoolr. Netherton
Metherell Wm. miller, Nethercott
Mortimer Mr W.
Underhay J. p. clk
Murgin Jas. vict. Boat House
Taverner Mary, shopkeeper
Wrey Rev John, M.A., Rectory

BLACKSMITHS.
Bulleid Wm.
Linscott Thos.

SHOEMAKERS.
Newton Henry
Taverner John


FARMERs.
(* are Owners.)
Ashford R. Nethct
Fowler Wm.
*Franklin John, Westborough
Heath Ts. Nethct
Hill John
* Lang Stephen, Gullmswell
Lovecraft Joshua
Rendell Robert
Rendell Wm.

MARINERS.
Metherell Edw.
Sanders George Ferris

Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998