"CORNWOOD, a small village (commonly crossed Cross,) in the Yealm valley, on the southern borders of Dartmoor Forest, 4½ miles N.E. of Earl's Plympton, has in its parish 1080 souls, and 10,680 acres of land, including 700A. of woodland, and 7438A. of common, extending six miles northward, among the hills and dells of Dartmoor, to the sources of the rivers Yealm and Erme. This large parish includes many scattered houses, the small hamlets of Cross, Lutton, Torr, Waterfleet, Houndle, and Dunaton, and part of the large village of Ivybridge, which has a post office, a district church, and a railway station, . . . Wm. F. Praed, Esq., is lord of the manor of Cornwood, and has a pleasant seat here, called Delamere, . . . Slade is the seat of W. Pode, Esq., . . . Fardell, an old farm-house, was formerly the seat of the Raleighs, . . Sir F. Rogers, Bart., is lord of the manor of Blackford, and resides at Blackford House, . . . The Church (St. Michael,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and six bells. it is chiefly in the perpendicuar style of the 15th century, except the tower and part of the chancel, which are much older. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Ermington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of both the South Hams and the Dartmoor area.
Peskett: Ivybridge was an ancient village, with a chapel of ease dependent on Cornwood, it was later created as a modern parish incorporating parts of Cornwood, Ermington, Harford and Ugborough.