Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Cornwood 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

IVYBRIDGE

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

IVYBRIDGE is a large and respectable village, with many neat houses, picturesquely seated on the banks of the river Erme, where there is an ancient ivy mantled bridge, on the Plymouth and Exeter road, 11 miles E. by N. of the former, and 34 miles S.S.W. of the latter. The South Devon Railway crosses the valley by a bridge and viaduct, a little to the north, and has a station here. More than half of the village is in the Ermington parish, and the rest is in the three parishes of Cornwood, Harford, and Ugborough. It has a post office, several neat villas, and many good lodging houses; three large and commodious inns, two paper mills, a large corn mill, several good shops, an extensive joint-stock tannery and leather manufactory, a district church, and two chapels. About 17 years ago, when the new road was made, a new bridge was erected a little below the old one. The bed of the river shews, by its jagged rocks, the impestuous nature of the stream, which having but just escaped from the high moorlands, rushes down, after heavy rains, like a wild cataract, through the deep and narrow valley, the woody banks of which rise in some places, above the old bridge, so abruptly, that the foliage of the trees on either side meet, and form a sylvan arch over the river, which runs southward to Bigbury Bay, about seven miles below. The enchanting scenery of the village and neighbourhood attracts numerous visitors in summer and autumn, from Plymouth, Devonport, and other places; and the inns and lodging houses afford excellent accomodation for all ranks. Sir F. L. Rogers, Bart., is lord of the manor of Ivybridge, which extends into Cornwood and Ermington parishes. In that part of the village in the former parish, a Chapel of Ease was built by subscription in 1790, and in 1835 it was consecrated as a District Church. It has an embattled tower, and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Sir F. L. Rogers, and incumbency of the Rev. J. D. Cork, M.A. An Infant School was established in 1849; and here is a small Weslyan Chapel, built in 1812; and an Independent Chapel, erected in 1845.

DIRECTORY

In the following Directory of IVYBRIDGE, those marked 2 are in Harford; 3, Cornwood; 4, Ugborough; and the rest in Ermington parish.

Abbott Wm. painter, &c
3 Bidgood Mr
4 Blight Pp. farmer
Carkeet Wm. manager Tanning Co
Chapman Wm. tinner and brazier
Cole Maurice, mngr. Union Corn Mill
Cork Rev J. D., M.A. incumbent
Cotton Wm. Esq. Highland House
4 Curber John, farmer
Devon & Cornwall Tanning & Leather Co. (manufr. on a new process)
Fincher John, schoolmaster
Garrard Wm. inland revenue officer
Hartley Edmund, surgeon
Hortop Elizabeth, cider seller
3 James Mrs. Erme House
Lethbridge Robert, (private lunatic asylum,) West Park House
Mackay Wm. schoolmaster
Mathias Captain Thomas, R.N.
Menzies James, gentlemen
3 Phillips Roger, gardener, &c
2 Rivers Hy. Bowen & Henry, Esqrs
Seldon Mr John
Sherwell John Adams, surgeon
3 Sherwell Mrs
Smith Rev P. Parker, curate
Spreat Samuel, saddler
2 Toogood Matthew
3 Wills Mr

INNS AND TAVERNS.

2 Bridge Inn, Solomon Northmore
Ivybridge Hotel, Richard Hillson
King's Arms Inn, John Seldon, jun
2 Rivers' London Inn, Wm. Rivers
4 Grocers' Arms, Wm. Atwill, carrier

BAKERS.

4 Blackmore Ths.
Edgecombe Jas.
Lethbridge Wm.
Methrell Joseph
Turner Henry

BLACKSMITHS.

Bird Mark
Bird Samuel
Lethbridge Chas.

BUTCHERS.

Ford Robert
Huxham Henry

Huxham Thomas
Huxham John
CARPENTERS.

Pearse Richard
Richards Edw.

LODGINGS.

Cameron Ann
Collard John
Collander Mrs
Methrell John

PAPER MAKERS.

2 Allen John
Windsor John

SHOEMAKERS.

Rowe James
Tozer Jno. barber
Traher John
Willis James

SHOPKEEPERS.

Bavin Johanna
Bird John
Bird Wm.
4 Blackmore Ths.
Blight Philip
Moore Edward
Sherwell Rd. & B.

TAILORS.

Lavers John
Sherwell Rd. & B.
Traher Wm.

WHEELWRIGHTS.

Dyer Joseph
Skelley Robert

POST-OFFICE
at John Bird's

RAILWAY
Trains 6 times a day, to Exeter, Plymouth, &c

CARRIERS
To Plymouth. Wm Savery, daily,
& Atwill, Blight, & Stevens, Mon Tu. Thu. & Sat.