Fardel is a medieval mansion of 15th to 16th century date, with a well-preserved chapel.licensed by Bishop Lacy in 1432 and this is probably the date of the existing building. Near Fardel was found, in 1860, the first stone with an Ogham inscription to be discovered in England." This stone is now in the British Museum. Fardellt was acquired by marriage in the C14 by the Raleigh family of Smallridge, East Devon. It remained in the family until the mid-C17 when Sir Walter's son sold it to the Hele family, also of Wembury Much useful information has been written about Fardel due to its Raleigh connections, though there is no evidence that Sir Walter ever lived there. The property seems to have been a tenanted farm from the later C18 to the mid-C20. This rare book was produced from a digital copy held by the University of Michigan Library that can be downloaded from Google Books. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. Those on which copyright has expired are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.