"CREACOMBE is a small parish, on the river Sturcombe, 6 miles south-west from East Anstey station on the Somerset and Devon branch of the Great Western railway, 10 miles north-north-west from Tiverton, and 10 south-west from Bampton, in the Northern division of the county, Witheridge hundred, South Molton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of South Molton, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1857 by Mrs. Karslake, mother of the late rector, is a small edifice in the Early English style. . . The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1695; marriages, 1759. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £175, including 311 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir W. W. Karslake, and held since 1896 by the Rev. Alexander Frederick De Gex, who is also rector of and resides at Meshaw. Sir W. W. Karslake of 8 Curzon street, London W. is lord of the manor. The Hon. Mark George Kerr Rolle, J. Quicke esq. and the Rev. John Peter Benson M.A. vicar of Witheridge, and Mr. L. Davies are the landowners. The soil is good, but clayey; subsoil, clay and shillet. The chief crops are barley and oats. . . The children of this place attend the school at Rackenford." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.