The Church of the Holy Cross and the Mother of Him who hung thereon (or Crediton Parish Church) was the cathedral of the Lord Bishop of Crediton in the former diocese until 1050 when the See was transferred to Exeter. A College of Canons remained at Crediton, administering the buildings and life of the collegiate church. At the Reformation the church was surrendered to Henry VIII in 1545 and the college dispersed. The parish church of St Mary's at Ottery was consecrated in 1260, at which time the manor and patronage of the church belonged to Rouen Cathedral. In 1335 Bishop Grandisson of Exeter bought the manor and advowson from Rouen and two years later converted the church into a collegiate foundation with 40 members. Both inventories in the paper were taken by Henry VIII's Commissioners. Google with the Archive Organization has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. This rare book was produced from a copy held by the New York Public Library, and is available from the Internet Archive.