"TOWNSTAL extends north-west beyond the borough, and comprises the hamlets of Norton, 0ldmill, Ford, and Warfleet, and 1688A. 3R. 34p. of land, mostly the property of Sir Henry Paul Seale, Bart., lord of the manors of Townstal and Norton-Dawney; who has a large castellated mansion here, called Mount Boon, situated on a commanding eminence, west of the town, and formerly a seat of the Boone and Harris families, the latter of whom sold the estate to the Seales about 1700. . . . Townstal Church (St. Clement,) on a bold eminence about half a mile north of the town, is an ancient structure, of early English. architecture, with a lofty tower, containing four bells. The interior has several neat mural tablets, and the living is a vicarage, valued in 1831 at £135, with the curacy of St. Saviour's annexed to it in the patronage of Sir H. P. Seale, and incumbency of the Rev. John Tracey, B.A., who has a good residence, and two yearly stipends, viz., £105 out of the tithes of Sherford, and about £18 out of the tithes of Townstal parish, which were commuted in 1840 for £294. 17s. 6d. per annum. The latter formerly belonged to Tor Abbey, but have been in the impropriation of the corporation of Dartmouth since the Reformation; and they had also the advowson till they sold it a few years ago." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish within the seaport, market town and borough of Dartmouth, in Coleridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter, that had 1014 inhabitants in 1801. Includes Hardness.