"DAWLISH, a parish in the hundred of Exminster, in the county of Devon, 5 miles S.E. of Chudleigh, and 3 N. of Teignmouth. It is a station on the South Devon railway. The parish contains the hamlets of Middlewood, Cockwood, and Westwood. It is the Doelis of Domesday. It is much resorted to as a watering-place, besides being a fishing and coastguard station. The village, which contains several handsome terraces, is situated in a delightful valley, opening to the coast of the English Channel on the E., and bounded by a line of hills on the W. It belonged at the time of the Norman Survey to the bishop of the diocese but now belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The new road from Exeter to Torbay passes through the village, affording facility of communication with Teignmouth. Over the stream called Dawlish Water are a bridge for carriages and two foot bridges, the banks being laid out in shrubberies and walks. The scenery in the vicinity is very beautiful. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £440, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The rent charge in lieu of the great tithes, now transferred to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, is £360. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a handsome structure with a square embattled tower, crowned with pinnacles. It was enlarged and beautified in 1824 at the cost of £4,000, The endowed charities amount to £7 11s. per annum. There is a chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. Mark; and another chapel at Cofton. The Wesleyans, Independents, and Plymouth Brethren have chapels. There is a National school and two other schools. Peter Richard Hoare, Esq., is lord of the manor. A pleasure fair is held on Easter Monday, and a regatta in August."
"COCKWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Dawlish, in the county of Devon 6 miles E. of Chudleigh."
"LITHEWELL, (or Ludwell), a chapelry in the parish of Dawlish, hundred of Exminster, county Devon, 1 mile S.W. Chudleigh. The chapel is in ruins.
"MIDDLEWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Dawlish, county Devon, 6 miles S.E. of Chudleigh."
"STARCROSS, a chapelry and small seaport in the parishes of Kenton and Dawlish, county Devon, 2 miles N.W. of Exmouth, its post town, and 5 S. of Topsham. It is a station on the South Devon railway. The village, which is spacious, is situated on the road to Teignmouth at the mouth of the river Exe, or Topsham harbour, opposite Exmouth. The inhabitants are principally engaged in the coasting trade. The village is much visited as a watering place. A little to the N. of it is Powderham Castle, and on an adjoining eminence is Belvidere tower, erected by the Earl of Devon in 1773, and commanding an extensive view of the channel and surrounding country. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £210, in the patronage of the Deans and Chapters of Exeter and Sarum alternately. The church was rebuilt in 1828. A chapel at Cofton, founded in the 14th century, was restored by the Earl of Devon in 1839. A fair is held on Whit Wednesday."
"WESTWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Dawlish, county Devon, 5 miles S.E. of Chudleigh."