[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"DOWLAND, a parish in the hundred of North Tawton, in the county of Devon, 7 miles S.E. of Torrington, and 8 W. of Eggesford station. Exeter is its post town. It is situated near the river Torridge, and contains the township of Upcott. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £76, in the patronage of Sir S. H. North cote, who is lord of the manor. The church is an ancient structure in the Gothic style, with tower containing five bells. The charities amount to £3 per annum. The tithes have been commuted for a rent charge of £125."