Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
DREWSTEIGNTON. Holy Trinity. The church consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch with parvise, and west tower with five bells. The holy water stoup has been preserved and is now used in the vestry as a piscina. The pulpit is Jacobean work [ca. 1603-1625]. There are signs of rood loft door, but the screen has been entirely removed. The font is probably a copy of an older one. The chancel was rebuilt at the restoration of the church in 1864. Over the south door are the arms of Queen Elizabeth [r. 1558-1603] with the initials "E. R."
In the tower are preserved:-
The Ringers Articles.
"Whoever in this place shall swear
Sixpence he shall pay therefore
He that rings here in his hat
Threepence he shall pay for that
Who over turns a bell be sure
Threepence he shall pay theredore
Who leaves his rope under feet
Threepence he shall pay for it
A good ringer and a true heart
Will not refuse ro spend a quart
Who will not to those rules agree
Shall not belong to this belfree."
John Hole, Warden.
The registers date: baptisms, 1557; marriages, 1599; burials, 1599.